Sunday, March 17, 2013

A Hopping Good Squirrel... Err... Beer

Barking Squirrel Lager
A publicist contacted me months ago while I was traveling in Europe, asking if I’d be interested in trying out their beer, which they were bringing to Alberta. Although I’m not a beer connoisseur of any sort, I had heard about this particular beer through a friend of mine, Squeaky Oat Bear, a small oat colored bear with a squeaker in his belly (otherwise known as the little bear featured in the banner picture on my FaceBook Page who is attempting to BBQ me, he's truly a carnivore). He currently lives in Ottawa, who like myself, usually prefers wine, but was fairly impressed with this brew, so I figured I’d give it a whirl.


Enjoying a cold one
After some local distribution issues were ironed out, I finally managed to obtain a case to of Barking Squirrel Lager to sample, a most peculiar but whimsical name. Their labeling follows a similar vein with a picture of a squirrel looking dubiously at what I assume is a grain.

Upon trying it, I found it a nice light beer to drink. Bright, very mildly hoppy, it finished clean with no bitterness and no aftertaste. Not overly strong, it was an easy drink, and paired well with both salty snacks and savory meals alike. Knowing very little about beer, I had to look up what a lager was and found out that it is the most widely consumed style of beer in the world, according to Wikipedia. After tasting Hop City Barking Squirrel Lager   I could see why, it is a good choice for beer newbies such as myself.

Definitely Hooked
For others like me who normally prefer wine, Hop City Barking Squirrel Lager is a very approachable beer. In fact, I liked it so much that I have begun buying it on a regular basis, as it’s significantly cheaper than a bottle of decent wine, and easily goes with anything I’m eating.

Two big enthusiastic hooves up for Hop City Barking Squirrel Lager, and a very warm welcome to Alberta!

(Note: There was no financial compensation from Hop City Brewing Company for this blog post, although they did provide the beer to sample. Any review provided by me will completely reflect my thoughts and opinions - good or bad, and will not be swayed by free product provided.)

Hop City Brewing Company
54 Bramsteele Road
Brampton, ON  L6W 3M6
1-800-561-6808
Twitter: @HopCityBrewing

(Note: There was no financial compensation from Hop City Brewing Company for this blog post, although they provided free beer. Prior to agreeing to the offer of a free product sample, companies must agree that any review provided by me will completely reflect my thoughts and opinions – good or bad, and will not be swayed by free product provided.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note that all comments are moderated prior to posting.

Comments that are offensive and abusive in nature, contain profanity, or demean others will not be posted. You must provide a name in order to post a comment, anonymous comments will not be posted.

Comments that are controversial in nature or generate debate and dialog are welcome.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...